Quotes for Small Business Owners
As small business owners we deal with all kinds of challenges from back office work to customer acquisition and service, but our biggest obstacle every day are our own thoughts and motivation. Some of us struggle with feeling inferior. Maybe we’ve compared ourselves to someone who has been doing their thing for way longer than we have. Maybe we’re afraid to take the next step because it’s bigger and bolder than anything we’ve ever done before. Or maybe we’ve not yet found our niche or path or whatever our purpose is and we want to give up. Below are a few quotes to get you through the struggle and to realize that every person on this list started as a small business, so keep going my friend, we’re all in this together!
For those you dealing with imposter syndrome or thinking you aren’t qualified because you didn’t go to college….
1. “My biggest motivation? Just to keep challenging myself. I see life almost like one long University education that I never had — every day I’m
learning something new.”
– Richard Branson, founder Virgin Group
2. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
3. “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.”
– John Wooden
Mindset is everything, just ask Ford and company….
4. “Whether you think you can or think you can’t — you’re right.”
– Henry Ford, Founder Ford Motor Company
5. “Happiness depends on your mindset and attitude.”
– Roy T. Bennett
6. “Happiness has to do with your mindset, not with outside circumstance.”
― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free
When we let fear hold us back…
7. “The only thing worse than starting something and failing… is not starting something.”
– Seth Godin, founder Squidoo
8. “When I’m old and dying, I plan to look back on my life and say ‘wow, that was an adventure,’ not ‘wow, I sure felt safe.’”
– Tom Preston-Werner, co-founder Github
9. “Fearlessness is like a muscle. I know from my own life that the more I exercise it the more natural it becomes to not let my fears run me.”
– Arianna Huffington, president and editor in chief The Huffington Post Media Group
When it’s time to act….
10. “The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.”
– Walt Disney, founder Disney
11. “The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It’s as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few
who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today. The true entrepreneur is a doer, not a dreamer.”
– Nolan Bushnell, founder Atari and Chuck-E-Cheese’s
12. “It is always the start that requires the greatest effort.”
– James Cash Penney, founder and CEO J.C. Penny
What failure really is….
13. “Show me a person who never made a mistake, and I will show you a person who never did anything.”
– William Rosenberg, founder Dunkin’ Donuts
14. “Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
– Winston Churchill
15. “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
– Thomas Edison
Bonus quote for understanding business is emotional….
“Feel the feels. Deal with the deals. Plan the plans.”
– Rina Jensen, Resiliency Coach R Jen Companies